Wednesday, March 28, 2012

12 Angry Men

Both the 1957 original film and the 1997 remake of Twelve Angry Men enthrall me because the directors (Sidney Lumet and William Friedkin) were "forced" to create dramatic action inside one stuffy jury room!  I wonder if they were familiar with Kierkegaard's famous line, "The more a person limits himself the more resourceful he becomes" (Either/Or).


Their amazing feat of cinematic legerdemain inspires me because the graphic novel I'm working on will take place entirely inside a university classroom. Can I use creative camera angles, close up/wide shots, and evocative poses/facial expressions to keep the plot from feeling cramped or bogged down?


These are the questions I'm grappling with as I near the completion of the second draft of dialog. I haven't started story boarding this thing yet; I gotta get the words right, first. I'm only 4 verses away from completion and I find my mind wandering from what the actors say to how I'll depict them saying those words.


My inspiration for drawing a graphic novel is Tin Tin's Herge (Georges Remi) but he had the whole universe as stage: cargo ships, deserts, the moon, under water, inside a mansion, etc. I will have only the classroom setting.


My plan:


  • draw interesting characters with exquisite facial expressions who make snappy bon mots
  • introduce Power Point slide shows for several lengthy passages 
  • give each student a lap top on which can appear in images as needed
  • close ups/long shots
  • movable "camera" angles 
  • the point of view needn't be fixed; we can look down upon or look up into each character
  • colorful clothing/costume (I am losing interest in making this black and white; I think hand drawn with colored pencils will look nice; it'll be a ton of work but it's enjoyable work)
Such are my musings as I wrap up rough draft number 2.




No comments:

Post a Comment